Consultancy of external project evaluation of
Participatory Climate Risk Assessment Hub (PCRAH) in Tanzania Project- January 2022 to December 2023
Sustainable Agriculture Tanzania (SAT) is seeking to hire a consultant(s) to conduct a comprehensive external evaluation for the Bread for the World (BftW) funded project “Participatory Climate Risk Assessment Hub in Tanzania (PCRAH)”. The evaluator is free to propose the methodologies and tools that will be used in the evaluation exercise. These Terms of Reference (ToR) serve as a request for proposals from individual consultants/firms interested in conducting this evaluation.
The main purpose of this evaluation exercise is to assess the performance of this pilot project and capture project achievements so far, challenges, and best practices to provide recommendations for improving performance and inform future project planning and development. This evaluation will identify lessons learned and best practices. The outcome of this evaluation will be used to inform PCRAH’s next phase of design and implementation.
Under the relevancy and based on OECD DAC evaluation criteria and specifically capturing efficiency, effectiveness, relevance, ‘emerging’ impact, and sustainability; the evaluation intends to:
- Assess the quality of the project design, the relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact, and sustainability of the project.
- Determine the extent to which the project has already achieved its objectives or is likely to achieve them.
- Determine the extent to which the supported BftW Partner Organisation has developed capacity and how this benefits the adaptation interventions being implemented at the community level.
- Draw lessons learned on the project design, implementation, and management (including the utilization of the established monitoring systems) and provide relevant recommendations for future projects.
- Inform the project holder (SAT) and BftW in relation to the future direction of the PCRAH project’s next phase.
Timelines and Deliverables
The evaluation is expected to be conducted between 30th May and 28th June 2023. The final report shall be submitted no later than 7th July 2023.
The consultant/s shall share the preliminary findings report (soft copy) to SAT for inputs and comments within a maximum of seven days after data collection. The consultant will incorporate the provided inputs and comments (as applicable) to produce a preliminary report that will be shared with BftW. SAT will share the draft evaluation report with BftW for inputs and comments within two weeks. The consultant will incorporate the inputs and comments from BftW and SAT for producing the final evaluation report.
Consultant (s) qualifications/competencies
- A postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline related to this assignment.
- Excellent track record in designing and conducting quantitative and qualitative research, analysis and evaluation.
- Proven experience of a minimum of five years in undertaking an evaluation of donor-funded projects related to rural/community development, climate change, education, agriculture, or other development sectors, research, and analysis.
- The ability to produce well-written, analytical reports in English is essential.
- Knowledge of evaluation of capacity-building activities and familiarity with the theory of change technique.
- Experience in evaluating climate change adaptation-based projects/programs.
- A gender-balanced team of at most two consultants is essential
10.0 Application procedure
Interested applicants should submit;
- a cover letter of expression of interest,
- curriculum vitae,
- A technical proposal explaining their comprehension of the ToR and how they would approach this assignment, summarising the methodologies and approaches they plan to use, including a timeline
- a financial proposal outlining their expected fees for undertaking the assignment and all costs,
- A sample of two reports of similar or related evaluations undertaken.
Please send your application electronically via email@example.com latest by 22nd May 2023 with the subject line of the email PCRAH project external evaluation and addressed to the SAT CEO. The review of proposals starts immediately and will continue until a suitable consultant is identified and close on 24th May 2023.
For more information about the scope of work, please download the Terms of Reference below